Saturday Night Showdown
- Group & Solo Hip-Hop Dance Competition
- Head-to-head, all ages, Freestyle Battle
- Win awards, scholarships and nominations to Aftermath
- Hosted by a Live DJ
- Free admission and giveaways
- Every Saturday at 5pm
Divisions, Fees and Time Limits
|Divisions (# of dancers)||Time Limit||Early Fee||Regular Fee|
|Small Group (4-9)||3:00||$55||$65|
|Large Group (10-15)||3:00||$55||$65|
- Please see your city page for early registration deadline.
- Must be registered for workshop to participate in the Competition or Freestyle battle.
- Fees are non-refundable, no exceptions.
- Additional Time (up to 3 additional minutes) can be purchased for $5 per dancer, per addidiotnal minute, for Groups, Lines and Productions only.
- Group routines with 4+ dancers are allowed to “age up” only to the next age division.
- Independent dancers are welcome to participate in the Kāos Competition & Freestyle Battle
All ages are as of January 1, 2020. Your routine must compete in the average age of all of your dancers. A routine cannot drop 2 levels below the oldest dancer (A group with an "Alpha" may not drop down to the "Delta" division.)
Takeover: Freestyle Battle
Dancers who enter the Freestyle Battle will go head-to-head on stage in front of an audience and a panel of judges. The order of the battle will be decided with a coin flip then the contestants will battle it out to the DJ’s song of choice. The winner of each battle will enter the final Free-For-All where all dancers in each age division will compete for awards, scholarships, prizes and bragging rights.
- There is an entry fee to compete in the battle.
- Contestants will compete within their Age Divisions.
- Battles will be decided by a panel of judges.
- We encourage the competitive spirit of a battle, but contestants may be disqualified for toxic behavior.
- All contestants must be registered for the Workshop.
- Winners in each division receive:
- $100 Cash!
- One free KĀOS regional workshop scholarship
- Five FREE classes at Playground LA
Bring your hip-hop solos, duos, trios and groups to compete in Takeover! All routines that compete will receive a detailed digital score sheet and video critiques from our professional faculty members and the top scoring routines are eligible for awards, prizes and an invitation to Aftermath.
Performing for all ages
Remember that Kāos is an all ages event and routines must be appropriate for everyone attending. This includes movement, content and music. If the judges feel your routine is inappropriate, points may be deducted from your final score or possibly disqualified.
This is a subjective opinion, but we try our best to create a tasteful event for all attendees.
Critiques and Score Sheets
All competing routines will receive video critiques and score sheets from the judges within 24 hours of the event in the Dance360 account of the one who registered.
All music must be clean and appropriate for all audience members. You must submit your music online before the event through Dance360 and bring a backup on a digital music device.
Props are allowed but must be taken on and off stage within 2 minutes combined. Props that can be dangerous, inappropriate or that may damage or mark the stage are not not permitted.
Hip-hop is defined by movement that uses primarily hip-hop technique and style in addition to sub-genres and variations of hip-hop. You may include other styles of dance in your routine, as long as Hip-Hop is the primary focus.
The Come-Up Closing Show
Select routines will be chosen by the judges to re-perform in the Come-Up. It is the ultimate wrap-up to an epic weekend.
All routines that compete at Takeover are automatically qualified for Aftermath summer event competition. Top scoring numbers may also receive free competition entry to Aftermath.
Video and Photography
For the safety of our dancers and choreographers creative work, there is no photos or recording of any kind from the audience.
Admission to Takeover is free and all are welcome to watch. Bring your friends!